Monday, August 8, 2016

HIS MUCH-CHERISHED LAST RECORDED WORDS TO ME ON MY PRIVATE PHONE LINE: THE 7:01 P.M. FRIDAY, MARCH 4, 2016, VOICE MAIL MESSAGE TO ME FROM MY BELOVED DAIRY-FARMER UNCLE, IOWA CITY, IOWA, NATIVE JOHN DANE, WHO LATER DIED ON JULY 7, 2016, AT THE AGE OF 90, AFTER COMPLICATIONS FROM MEDICAL SURGERY ON HIMSELF


"Hello, John McMillan, this is John Dane speaking. I got your telephone message the other night---we were actually out of town at the time, and I've been busy, busy, busy, busy---to call you back.

"But anyway, my wife, Allie Dane, died, and my wife now is Kathy Schweer. She kept her own name, and she had to fly to Lincoln, Nebraska. Well, she flew to Cedar Rapids and drove with her son to Lincoln today.

"This is Friday, March the 4th. And anyway, she had to go to Lincoln because her best friend's husband died and she wanted to be there for the funeral. Funeral's tomorrow, Saturday, March 5, and she's flying back to Florida here on Tuesday, March 8. So anyway, Donna is coming down---my daughter Donna is coming down---tomorrow, Saturday, and she's also flying home on Tuesday, March 8. So I won't be alone down here. Just today, which is already gone.

"And anyway, I'm very sorry to hear about your surgery and hope that everything has worked out okay now, and hope you're getting along all right. I don't know whether moving will---to another state---will help you in any way. I don't know about that.

"I'm getting along pretty good. I had my 90th birthday in January, and I got my pacemaker in February, and in a week we're going to go on a ..." (Uncle John's voice mail message to me ended at that point).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.