Monday, December 26, 2022

A REMEMBRANCE FROM MY CHILDHOOD IN TEXAS: MY MURRAY (UT) NATIVE FATHER'S 'HELL'S BELLS, KEVIN!" EXCLAMATIONS

 I was reminded today that during my childhood in Westlake Hills, Texas, my Murray (UT) native Father on numerous separate occasions over a multi-year period would express disapproval of conduct of mine inside our family home by exclaiming: "Hell's Bells, Kevin!"


Kevin is my middle name, and for some reason my Mother and Father habitually addressed me by my middle name rather than by my first name. In my fourth grade year of elementary school, I changed that on my own initiative by asking my parents and my schoolteachers and classmates to address me by my first name, John.

I need to pursue historical research to find out whether "Hell's Bells, (followed by the first name of a child)" was a common saying verbalized by LDS member parents in Murray, Utah, during the 1920s and 1930s of Calvin McMillan's childhood as a Mormon youth in Murray. Calvin McMillan lived in Murray for at least 25 years, since he graduated from Murray High School and earned a Master's Degree at the University of Utah while apparently continuing to live in his original family home in Murray.

It seems to me likely that my Murray butcher-shop owner grandfather, Parley McMillan, a Mormon, habitually exclaimed "Hell's Bells, Calvin!" when Parley McMillan was exasperated with his younger son Calvin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.