Thursday, December 25, 2008

Opposing the Bad Can Still Affirm Goodness in Life

As I ate my Christmas meal earlier today inside a first-rate restaurant in Austin, I happened to overhear a lady at a nearby dining table apparently criticizing a young boy who was a member of her party.

"You are always so negative" (approximate quote), she gently reproached that child.

That comment has since reminded me that in my own life, some persons have stated a similar criticism of myself in recent years.

I would like to respectfully respond to that criticism by pointing out that supporting a noble, very constructive cause often involves emphatically and fervently opposing conduct----including through filing a lawsuit in a court of law----that one regards as harmful or injurious or illegal or immoral.

To offer some examples of this point, I'd like to point out that the wholesome, idealistic, law-abiding, privacy-rights-respectful non-profit civic groups in which I am a current official member at present include:

--a civic group based in Madison, Wisconsin, that fervently opposes noise pollution, including the cited noise pollution in Austin, Texas, that I myself have repeatedly complained about in friendly E-mail correspondence I've had in recent years with that Madison-based civic group, a non-profit group identifying itself as "Noise-Free America."

I am grateful to "Noise-Free America" for expressing interest to me in itself investigating whether the City Government of Austin has allegedly or possibly been blameworthy in any way for the noise pollution injurious to myself in Austin, Texas, that I've repeatedly complained about in writing over a multi-year period to "Noise-Free America" officials in Madison, Wisconsin (Madison being the hometown for the University of Wisconsin).

--the "Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America," a non-profit organization based in Alexandria, Virginia, that seeks to help all of American society liberate itself from illicit drugs and other forms of drug abuse.

--the "No Cussing Club," a wholesome non-profit group open to all ages that is based in South Pasadena, California, and that seeks to help liberate all of American society, including all of America's children, from ever being subjected against their wishes to profane speech by others, and that encourages everyone to refrain from speaking profanely.

----the "National Crime Prevention Association," a noble non-profit group based in Arlington, Virginia, that seeks to help deter crime on a nationwide basis, and that generously sends me frequent correspondence relating to that noble group's goals and accomplishments.

---"Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids," a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., that strives to help youths enjoy tobacco-free lifestyles.

--"Americans for Non-Smokers' Rights," a non-profit organization based in Berkeley, California, that fervently opposes any and all infringements upon the legal rights of non-smokers (I among those law-abiding non-smokers, I might add) by the tobacco-smoking community anywhere and everywhere in the United States.

In addition, I am myself formally affiliated with the "National Coalition Against Legalized Gambling," a noble non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., that emphatically opposes legalization of gambling anywhere in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.