Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Need for group against Anonymous Communications

One civic group I have never heard of, and would love to myself join, is a non-profit civic group for law-abiding persons that exclusively focuses on opposing anonymous communications.
I believe in stating my full legal name in all E-mail communications I share with others. That conveys my own willingness to be fully accountable for the content of the message I choose to share with one or more other persons via the E-mail.
A disproportionately high share of the anonymous communications are pranks or terroristic threats or threats of terrorism or threats of violence or communications generated by a law-breaking stalker.
I have opposed participation in pranksterism or fraudulent communications or anonymous communications ever since my childhood, when I grew up in Westlake Hills, Texas.
I was dismayed by a story I heard one day in the late 1960s about a group of youths at St. Stephen's prep school who reportedly in a surreptitious manner put "Ex-lax" into some brownies or cookies served to a member of the faculty or administrator of that private school in Westlake Hills, Texas.
I did not share the amusement over that prank that was expressed to me by a male classmate of mine from Eanes Elementary School. He had chuckled while recalling that incident to me.
I have never once pulled a prank on anyone in my entire life; and I have almost never been accused of telling a lie to anyone in my entire life (and in several of the occasions in which I was accused of telling a lie to another person, the accuser was himself or herself verbalizing a verifiably false allegation to myself).
It also seems to me that in this era in which terroristic violence has all too often been accompanied by and preceded by anonymous communications, anonymous threats, including anonymous death threats, etc., opposing anonymous communications is one way to promote rational, straightforward, civil discourse and dialogue and communications at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.