Monday, September 25, 2023

The April 16, 2021, 'Housing Issue' Voice Mail Message I Received from 'Austin (TX) American-Statesman' Intern Reporter Laura Morales

 This exactly quoted text (below) comes from an April 16, 2021, E-mail letter of mine I wrote and sent from my solo-occupancy rental apartment unit at Pebble Creek Apartments in northeast Austin, Texas, to numerous law-enforcement agencies, other government agencies, and media companies:


" The following (below) is the exact verbatim text of a very unexpected and much-appreciated recorded voice mail message I received and listened to on my home phone line this Friday evening, April 16, 2021, inside my current rental-apartment unit. The voice-mail message to me was the first-ever oral communication or written communication I can recall having ever received from any staff member of "The Austin American-Statesman" that was in direct response to a statement of mine to the Statesman staff about safe-housing issues for me in Austin.


"The voice-mail messages of mine I had left with that very influential daily newspaper on April 13, 2021, had stated, among other things, that I myself 'assume' that 'American-Statesman' Executive Editor John Bridges supports safe housing conditions for me, including during my sleeping hours, inside my current solo-occupancy bolt-locked rental-apartment unit in northeast Austin.  


The return voice-mail message to me from the 'Statesman' that I listened to this evening for the first time was apparently from a female reporting intern for the 'Austin American-Statesman' general-circulation daily newspaper that is reportedly owned by Gannett media company of McLean, Virginia:


"'Hi, Mr. uh, McMillan, my name is Laura Morales, from the "Austin American-Statesman"'. I'm just calling you back, um, based on a call you gave us about a housing issue. I would be very interested in getting to know a little bit more about what you're facing. So if you could please call me back to (210) 780-0152, I would greatly appreciate any information, and a little bit more explanation about the recent voice mail that you left with one of our reporters. Um, so, yeah, any information would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day. Bye-bye."'


"According to the official website for the 'Austin American-Statesman', Laura Morales is a 'spring 2021 Newsroom intern for the Statesman. She studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin and serves as the Vice President of Texas NAHJ, the National Association of Hispanic Journalist(s) chapter at the University of Texas. She has written for The San Antonio Current, Texas Standard and The San Antonio Report as an intern and The Daily Texan as a senior news reporter."'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.