Sunday, May 21, 2017

A SPECIAL 'THANK YOU' TO THE LAW-ABIDING AND HONORABLE PERSONS WHO EACH INVITED ME TO A PARTY OR DINNER EVENT THAT THEY HOSTED:


(FACTUAL AND LEGAL NOTE: IN THE SECOND DECADE OF THE 21ST CENTURY, I HAVE RECEIVED ZERO INVITATIONS TO MYSELF ATTEND A PARTY OR DINNER EVENT BEING HELD INSIDE ANYONE'S HOME OR APARTMENT UNIT ANYWHERE IN AUSTIN, TEXAS. IN THAT REGARD, TWO KIND AUSTIN-BASED PERSONAL FRIENDS OF MINE, EACH OF THEM FORMER CLASSMATES OF MINE AT STEPHEN F. AUSTIN HIGH SCHOOL OF AUSTIN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, DID HELPFULLY VOLUNTEER TO ME SEVERAL MONTHS AGO THAT MY HAVING A REPUTATION THESE DAYS FOR MYSELF BEING A REPORTED ANAL-RAPE-CRIMES-AND-PERSONAL-INJURY-CRIMES VICTIM IN AUSTIN, TEXAS, THIS PARTICULAR DECADE HAS APPARENTLY REPULSED MANY OF THE PERSONS WHO OTHERWISE MIGHT HAVE AGREED TO SHARE A MEAL WITH ME IN THIS STATE CAPITAL CITY OF AUSTIN.)

---In the first decade of this 21st Century, an Anglo gentleman from Florida named Chris Keimling invited me to attend a party he was hosting in his home in south Austin. He politely stated to me that he was reluctant about inviting me, since "you are too straight for my friends", he stated. One of his male friends at the event I attended was himself employed by the Travis County Sheriff's Office in Austin, according to what that friend of Chris's stated to me at the party. I was very surprised by this, since I had been led to believe in advance that I was myself possibly "too straight" to fit in well at that party.

--In the first decade of the 21st Century, Stephen and Christy Whaley, an Anglo married couple residing at the same apartment complex as myself, Wind River Crossing Apartments in northwest Austin, kindly invited me to attend a Holiday-Season party inside their apartment unit. I enjoyed attending the event.

--In the first decade of the 21st Century, another household at Wind River Crossing Apartments in northwest Austin---or possibly Toni, the kindly African-American mother of one of the two party hosts in the cited household, with Toni having previously resided in Fort Worth, Texas, for many years--invited me to attend a Holiday Season dinner event inside their apartment. One of the hosts or participants in that event stated that he was a male adult fiction writer, and that Anglo man commented to me that my own combination of political and religious and personal beliefs was very incompatible with the Austin area, in his opinion.


--Thumper Gibson, a friendly Anglo gentleman in Sweetwater, Texas, or possibly an older member of his family, in November 1990 invited me to attend a Thanksgiving dinner event that year inside his parents' or grandparents' home in Sweetwater. I accepted the invitation and was delighted by that dinner party experience.

---Chris Barbee, the Anglo male editor of the El Campo "Leader-News" general-circulation semi-weekly newspaper in El Campo, Texas, in 1988 invited me as an education-beat staff reporter of his to attend a dinner party inside his or his father Fred Barbee's home in El Campo. I accepted the invitation and enjoyed that event. I believe that Chris Barbee in 1988 or 1989 also invited me to attend at least one party inside his and his wife Carol's home, and I attended.

---In 1987 or 1988, Heidi Wittenborn, an Anglo female former classmate of mine at Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas, very generously invited me to attend a party being hosted by Heidi's mother inside the latter individual's home in west Austin. I attended the event and enjoyed it.

--In 1984, an Anglo female Cambridge, Mass.-based friend of an Anglo married-woman friend of mine (Sylvia) in the Worcester area of Massachusetts, agreed to let me accompany Sylvia and her husband to a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" party the former lady hosted inside her own condominium apartment in Cambridge. I attended the event, but spent my time instead alone in a separate room of that apartment while reading in its entirety a short story by Dorothy Parker entitled "The Big Blonde." I politely pursued that solitudinous activity because I myself did not understand the humor or content of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" media event. 
After I rejoined the group at that party, the hostess of the event did emphatically state to me in the presence of other party guests without any clear context to her outburst: "YOU (John McMillan) HAVE A MASSIVE INFERIORITY COMPLEX!" 

I did not enjoy that particular party, but appreciated being invited to attend by Sylvia and her husband.

--Sylvia and her husband in the Worcester area of Massachusetts in 1984 invited me to attend a "Trivial Pursuit" board-game party inside their home. I accepted the invitation and enjoyed the party.

---In December 1983 or December 1984, the boyfriend of Victoria Lustig, who herself was the older sister of "Minnesota Daily" staff writer Claudia Lustig, invited me to attend an alcohol-guzzling party inside either his fraternity house near the University of Minnesota campus or the fraternity house of  a male friend of his. I drank Manhattans, if I remember correctly, at that frat house party, and I participated in a jovial and good-humored alcohol-induced mock debate with some of the college student fraternity members.

--In 1981, during a period shortly after I had moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, from New Ulm, Minnesota, one new acquaintance of mine, Michael Crothers, a fiction writer and University of Minnesota student, apparently was the individual who made one or two phone calls to me in which he invited me to participate in a weekly University of Minnesota International Center party he was himself also attending that was being hosted on Friday afternoons on that public-university campus in Minneapolis. I attended, an enjoyed the event each time.

--Mrs. Janet Rosenbloom, an Anglo female assistant editor at "The Journal" daily newspaper in New Ulm, Minnesota, in 1980 or 1981 very kindly invited me to have dinner with her and her family, including her husband, Brown County Judge Noah Rosenbloom, inside their home in New Ulm. I accepted the invitation, and was in awe of the great variety of healthful vegetables that Mrs. Rosenbloom served everyone at that event I also attended.

--In the late summer or fall of 1979, the male managing editor of the "Fort Myers News-Press," a Gannett-owned daily newspaper for which I was employed as a Naples bureau reporter in Collier County, Florida, invited all of his news and editorial staff to attend an outdoor party at his home near or in Fort Myers, Florida. The highlight for many of those attending was on taking plunges in the good-sized outdoor swimming pool owned by our managing editor.

---In 1979, an Anglo male visitor to the United States from Sweden, Lars (with whom I had had a very pleasant outdoor first-time conversation in my first-ever meeting with him and an Anglo male friend of his from Stockholm at an outdoor bar of The Candy Store nightclub along the Strip in Fort Lauderdale), made a phone call to me at my apartment unit near Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in which he invited me to attend a dinner event inside his parents' mobile home in a suburb north of Fort Lauderdale. That event was hosted by his retired parents from Sweden. I gladly accepted that invitation, and I enjoyed the meal, which I believe featured Swedish meatballs. I received a nice compliment from his kindly mother at the event. She volunteered to me that I reminded her of a favorite professional humorist of hers in Sweden.

---an admirably slender and friendly as well as attractive brunette-haired Anglo female suburban-beat reporter for the "Fort Lauderdale News-Sentinel" daily newspaper who stated that she was a University of Missouri Journalism School graduate, in 1979 very kindly invited me to attend a party she hosted inside her suburban home in western Broward County, Florida. I accepted, and admired her friendly hospitality. Her hospitality was especially impressive since I was employed at the time by the Miami Herald Company, which issued my paychecks to me at my "Broward Times" semi-weekly newspaper workplace in Tamarac, Florida. The "Miami Herald" company, which also maintained a news bureau of its own in Fort Lauderdale, competed with the "Fort Lauderdale News-Sentinel" in that region of Florida.

--In 1979, Deborah E. Williams, an Anglo female friendly classmate of mine in an English Composition class taught by a male Ohio State University alumnus and UT-Austin professor of English, herself invited me to a party inside her or her boyfriend's home or apartment near the University of Texas at Austin campus in central Austin. I enjoyed having a cheerful and good-humored discussion and "mock debate" involving myself and her boyfriend, Ted, and Deborah Williams's polite mother, during that social event. Ted and I each politely emphasized that each of us questioned the wisdom of the so-called separatist movement by those American women during that period who themselves stated that they wanted to sever all ties with men. Deborah Williams's mother repeatedly and politely stated that she herself supported separatism.

--In 1978 or 1979, the above-cited Anglo male English Composition instructor of mine at UT-Austin invited his entire class, including myself, to attend a party inside his home or apartment in Austin. I appreciated the invitation, and attended the event.

--In 1978 or 1979, a very friendly and talented and good-humored Anglo female photographer for "The Daily Texan" who was also herself a coworker of mine for that student newspaper on the UT-Austin campus, invited her "Daily Texan" coworkers, including myself, to attend a party inside her home or apartment. I enjoyed attending that event in Austin.

--In 1978 or 1977, "Daily Texan" coworker and staff cartoonist Berke Breathed, who had a very polite habit of immediately greeting me in a respectful manner whenever I entered the newsroom of that student newspaper on the UT-Austin campus, invited all of his coworkers, including myself, to attend a party he hosted near the eastern boundary of the main UT-Austin campus in central Austin. I was told during that party that his pretty brunette girlfriend attending the event was herself either from Spain or all or nearly all of her own ancestry was in Spain.


--Dean Marlene Barrett, my Anglo female faculty adviser at Washington University in St. Louis who was also an administrator at that university, in 1975 invited me to attend a Spaghetti Dinner party she hosted inside her home located a matter of blocks from the Washington University campus. I attended the event and enjoyed it, though I found it a bit sad to be reminded at the event that Dean Barrett was divorced from her husband, and she had the very awkward and no-doubt stressful experience of working on the same campus as himself.

---Mrs. Julia Mellenbruch, my Anglo female Spanish teacher at Stephen F. Austin High School, in 1974 or 1973 invited me and other schoolmates enrolled in her Spanish classes , to attend a Gazpacho party she hosted inside her home. The Gazpacho was delicious, and I greatly enjoyed that event.

---McDonald Smith Jr., an Anglo male high school student colleague of mine on the Stephen F. Austin High School debate squad, on two or more occasions in 1973 and 1974 invited me to attend parties he hosted inside his UT-Austin art professor father's home in the Tarrytown section of west Austin. I greatly enjoyed those events, and listened appreciatively as McDonald Jr. praised Italy for being a favorite country of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.