Thursday, September 3, 2020

MORE QUOTABLE MOMENTS FROM NEW YORKERS: ANOTHER IMAGINARY, SEMI-FICTITIOUS EAVESDROPPER'S REPORT

---"My doctor says to forget about our city's famous slogan that we're the 'City That Never Sleeps'. If I don't get the eight hours a day of sleep I need, I'll be drowsy and accident-prone and irritable and having inter-personal conflicts all day, my doctor says. 'Don't be the stereotypical self-destructive New Yorker who dies young from a heart attack,' my doctor says. I think I'm going to nominate Dr. Kelly for Super Doctor, especially if I make it to age 60 alive and fully-ambulatory." 

--"Whenever anyone tells me they have a Super Doctor for their PCP, I immediately ask which year are we talking about? Was that 10 years ago, seven years ago, two years ago, or this year? Unless they have current Super Doctor status, I couldn't trust them."

 ---"The type of indoor plant I want for my loft apartment is one that naturally absorbs the most air pollution so my own lungs are fully protected inside my home. I need to call all the botanical nurseries of New York to identify which indoor plant is the best one for my lungs."

---"I'm surprised there isn't a Save Our Lungs political movement here in New York. This would be a great place for that type of movement. I would gladly donate $100 toward that cause, since it's a good cause I feel comfortable with. I need to make it $100 since my understanding is that it's better on my income tax deductions to be able to state a big financial amount that I donated to a  charity."

---"I think anyone who lives in New York tries to keep contact information for a good Lung Transplant Surgeon in their medical files inside their home, in anticipation of a worst-case scenario. I am urging everyone I know with first-rate lungs to pledge in advance to donate them, in the event they have a motor vehicle accident that proves to be fatal. God forbid that anything like that would ever happen. But wouldn't they feel better about knowing that if they do have a fatal accident, their lungs will be going to a kind person they already know and love?"

---"It's callous of me to say, but I am very grateful for all the sugar-free options I am finding in the supermarket these days. I say callous, because I'm sure those options are primarily designed to help diabetics. Here I am saying I'm grateful for these options, but they wouldn't exist if it weren't for the many thousands of diabetics we have here. Of course I would love to see them avoid getting diabetes. But I know how the food industry is. They offer sugar-free products specifically to cater to a diabetic and pre-diabetic market. I'm pre-grateful, you might say, for those sugar-free options. One of my favorites is Sugar-Free Cranberry Juice from Ocean Spray. It's tart and my mouth puckers when I drink it, but then I think of all the headaches and heartache I would have if I ever turned into a diabetic. So this sugar-free drink is one of my insurance policies to protect me against a worst-case scenario in which everyone would be wondering why I'm injecting a needle into my own body, and what my addiction is?"













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.