Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Quest for Platonic (Non-Sexual) Pleasure and Platonic (Non-Sexual) Human Intimacy This Holiday Season

Of the various persons you are currently acquainted with (or whom you recently met for the first time), you could give some thought to which individuals you'd most like to get together with for tea and conversation this Holiday Season.

To identify which of the many individuals you've met would delight you the most this Holiday Season, you could ask yourself the following questions:

---Do I find myself smiling naturally and spontaneously in the presence of that individual?

---Is that individual friendly and kind and tactful toward me? Is he polite and understanding, for instance, when I select an alcohol-free beverage for myself during each in-person meeting we ever have inside a restaurant?

---Do I feel calmer and more serene and more of a sense of harmoniousness in the presence of this individual?

----When I reflect on that individual, does the word "sublime," the word "delightful," the word "wonderful," the word "fun," the word "engaging," or the word "beauty" ever come to mind for me?

---Does that individual discuss subjects with me that I regard as appetizing or pleasant or amusing or mirthful or inspirational?

---Do I find that I never (or almost never) sigh with exasperation or impatience or embarrassment when I'm on an outing with that individual?

---Do I feel less self-conscious and less inhibited as a human being when I'm on an outing with that individual?

-- Do I find that it is easy to have a very natural and very pleasant in-person personal conversation with that individual?

--Do I find that I have many significant points of agreement, and many shared outlooks or vantage points or values, in my in-person meetings with that individual?

--Do I find that I myself feel more empathetic and kind as a human being when I am having an in-person meeting and conversation with that individual? For instance, do I find that it feels very natural to myself pose several specific and polite questions to that individual about his or her own life?

---Do I feel or experience a significant "joie de vivre" or "joy of life" in the presence of that individual?

---Do I feel that when I get together with that individual, I also helped to impart a sense of "joie de vivre" or "joy of life" for that individual as well?

---Do I find that I occasionally laugh in the company of that individual, and that my laughter feels natural and calm and serene and not at all nervous on my part?

---Do I feel good-humored and more cheerful as a human being in the presence of that individual?

---Do I enjoy that individual's in-person companionship so much that I cheerfully insist on treating that individual to the glass of iced tea or to the meal and glass of tea, toward the end of our outing together inside a restaurant or cafe?

---Do I ever think to myself, "This outing with that individual just made my day!" or "This outing with that individual was truly a peak emotional experience for me, one that I will cherish for the rest of my life!"

--Do I think to myself, "This is just the sort of individual whom I would like to take a photograph of---with his or her prior permission, of course---and then add that photo to my personal scrapbook. I will then look forward to reviewing that photograph of this friendly and inspirational human being every Holiday Season for the rest of my life!"

---Do I feel more optimistic as a human being after getting together with that individual?

--Do I feel better about myself as a human being, and do I feel more dignity and more confidence as a human being, after getting together with that individual?

--After in-person meetings with that individual, do I feel a greater sense of my own freedom as a human being to set my own course and set my own priorities in my life?

--Do I feel more creatively ambitious and creatively inspired after getting together with that individual?

--Do I associate that individual with a law-abiding and civil and honest and generous and kind and straightforward lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.