Thursday, January 1, 2009

Clothes-Mending Course Urged for All Male Youths

It is sobering to reflect on how many thousands of dollars I have myself spent in my own life from purchasing a new shirt or a new pair of slacks after a button popped from my shirt or slacks.
Looking back, I wish I had enrolled in a special mini-course during my high school days at Stephen F. Austin High School (Austin ISD, Austin, Texas) on how to sew a button back into my shirt or slacks after that button falls off my clothing.
Enrollment in that very pragmatic educational course would have saved me thousands of dollars in the decades since my graduation from high school.
Unfortunately, many male high school students, even today, apparently declare that they don't need to know how to sew a button onto a shirt or pair of pants.
"My girlfriend or my wife, or my mother, will do that for me," those youths often say. "Besides, sewing a button back onto a shirt or pair of slacks is not well-suited to a masculine temperament such as my own."
The obvious response to that outlook is that human relationships often fail. And marriages often result in divorce, leaving the adult man single again for a multi-month or multi-year period.
It's also true that if a young man in a personal relationship is eternally asking his girlfriend or wife for help whenever a button falls off his clothing, she is likely to lose respect for, and no longer love, her "helpless male" mate or offspring.
Also, many young men don't reside in the same city as their mother. Besides, their mother is not likely to be alive and well and able---or willing---- to sew buttons on shirts for her son during all of his years as a bachelor.
Finally, there is nothing intrinsically feminine about sewing buttons onto shirts. Many of the greatest professional tailors have been masculine men.
One of the most physically aggressive and masculine of professional football players, Rosie Greer of the Kansas City Chiefs, in the 1970s disclosed to the news media that that very powerful and very muscular African-American gentleman (Rosie Greer) pursued needlepoint as his preferred leisuretime hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.