Saturday, September 8, 2018

STATE OF IOWA OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL CONSUMER PROTECTION DIVISION IN DES MOINES, IOWA, ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2018, POLITELY ACCEPTS A CIVILLY-WORDED LEGAL COMPLAINT FROM MYSELF AGAINST US BANK IN IOWA CITY, IOWA


On Saturday, September 8, 2018 10:49 PM, Iowa Attorney General wrote:

Thank you for contacting us. Your request has been submitted.


Consumer Information

Title: Mr.

First Name: John

Last Name: McMillan

Address: 10926 Jollyville Rd., Apt. 1609

City: Austin

State: TX

Zip Code: 78759

Email Address: mcmillanj@att.net

Phone: 512-342-2295

Age: 61

Please check appropriate box if you or your spouse are an active or former duty service member or U.S. military veteran: none


Who are you complaining about?

My Complaint is Against (Company or Name of Individual): US Bank, Sarah S. Maiers

Address: 204 E. Washington St.

City: Iowa City

State: IA

Zip Code: 52244

Phone: 319-356-9043

Fax: 319-356-9141

Email Address (if available): sarah.s.maiers@usbank.com

For motor vehicle complaints, list the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): none

Product or service involved: US Bank has promised to refund me in full for late fees I incurred from the Iowa Department of Revenue that resulted from a US Bank error that forced me to re-file my Iowa Individual Income Taxes payment in 2016 AFTER the April 30, 2016, filing deadline. Despite this, Ms. Sarah Maiers of US Bank in Iowa City is so far refusing to compensate me in full for the late fees I've incurred on that. She has apparently chosen to ignore a very recent written statement I've shared with her that was written by Iowa Assistant Attorney General Laurie Heron McCown. Ms. McCown's official letter to me, a copy of which I've shared with Ms. Maiers, officially confirms that the entire $379.86 amount that the State of Iowa is currently seeking from me is all exclusively late fees. In 2016, I was forced to re-file my income taxes to the State of Iowa AFTER the April 30 filing deadline that year. This delay occurred because of a delay from US Bank in providing me with a corrected K-1 form that I needed in re-filing my Iowa income taxes in 2016. The error on the original K-! form issued to me by US Bank in 2016 was from US Bank, and definitely not from myself. On or about May 10, 2016, I mailed my signed, May 10, 2016-dated, $3,763.00 personal check to the Iowa Department of Revenue for the full tax amount due, excluding any applicable late fees. The tax preparer for Block Tax Advisors in Austin, Texas, who re-filed my Iowa income tax form for me in 2016, Shelly Lamberth Jr. of Austin, has stated to me in writing this year that when he prepared my re-filed income taxes for the State of Iowa in 2016, it was not clear online how much, if at all, the State of Iowa would charge me for mailing my income taxes after the April 30, 2016, filing deadline. The Iowa Department of Revenue apparently maintains that the letter I sent containing that check was reportedly postmarked on May 16, 2016---about two weeks, in other words, after the April 30 filing deadline.

Is the product?: Used

Date of purchase or contract: May 10, 2016

Amount of purchase or contract: 3,763.00

Actual amount paid: 3,763.00

How did you pay?: Wells Fargo personal check

Have you contacted the business or person?: Yes

Have you contacted an attorney?: Yes

What do you think should be done to resolve your complaint fairly?: I would like you to please find out why Sarah Maiers of US Bank in Iowa City is still refusing to compensate me for the $379.86 in late fees that her bank is responsible for my having incurred. I might add that I myself did not learn about any late fees that I reportedly incurred until I received a letter from the Iowa Department of Revenue about that issue on July 23, 2018. A previous letter that that state agency in Des Moines maintains that it mailed to me in 2016 was never received by me until the summer of 2018, when I requested and obtained a copy of that reported 2016 communication from the Iowa Department of Revenue. In that regard, the the upper left hand portion of a copy of that reported 2016 letter to me from that State of Iowa agency does not even specify my apartment unit number.

Summary of your complaint: US Bank owes me the entire $379.86 in late fees to me from the Iowa Department of Revenue that US Bank is blameworthy for.

Attachments: none
Attachments: none
Attachments: none


Note: For uploading more than three attachments in the same submission, please use file compression or "zip" software. For information about using zip software, click here.
If mailing attachments: Please check if you are separately mailing supporting documents (send copies and retain originals)

Note: Complaints are "Open Records."
Under Iowa law, complaint forms or letters are "open records." The public has the right to review or obtain copies of open records. Also, copies of complaints are routinely sent to the person or business the complaint is directed against. Please contact the Consumer Protection Division if you have questions about the open records law.

I understand that the Attorney General's Office is not my private attorney but represents the public in enforcing laws designed to protect consumers from misleading or unlawful business practices. I also understand I may contact a private attorney for legal advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.