Tuesday, June 5, 2018

A TRIBUTE TO SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA: THE TRULY DELICIOUS KEMPS-BRAND BUTTER PECAN FROZEN YOGURT WITH ONLY 1.5 GRAMS OF SATURATED FAT PER ONE-HALF-CUP SERVING AND ONLY 14 GRAMS OF SUGAR PER SERVING, NO HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, GENEROUS CHUNKS OF PECANS MIXED INTO THAT FROZEN YOGURT, 3 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER SERVING, ONLY 10 MILLIGRAMS OF CHOLESTEROL PER SERVING, AND ENOUGH CALCIUM PER SERVING TO MEET 8 PERCENT OF A CONSUMER'S MINIMUM DAILY REQUIREMENTS FOR CALCIUM


As a former resident of Minnesota, I find it gratifying to eat this healthful food product from the North Star State that I purchase from a H.E.B. corporate-owned supermarket located near my rental-apartment residence in the northwest section of Austin, Texas. 


H.E.B. is a multi-state supermarket chain headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.

Kemps, the 104-year-old company that produces this wonderful frozen yogurt, is headquartered in St. Paul, the state capital of Minnesota. 

St. Paul is also the next-door neighbor to another big city in Minnesota, Minneapolis, where I myself resided in the early and mid-1980s.

I like the fact that the ingredients label for this Kemps frozen yogurt product clearly states that it contains "live active yogurt cultures including L. Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium".

Many frozen yogurt companies do not provide that assurance on their product that there are, in fact, live yogurt cultures found in their own brand of frozen yogurt.

This particular frozen yogurt product from Kemps is also relatively inexpensive. It sells for only $3.97 per one-and one-half quart (or 1.42 Liter) container in a frozen goods section of the H.E.B. supermarket in northwest Austin where I generally shop.

One minor quibble on my part: I wish that Kemps would be more direct about stating on its container that Kemps is the actual producer of this healthful dessert product. Instead, the one-and-one-half-quart container for Kemps-brand Butter Pecan Frozen Yogurt states that this product is "distributed by Kemps LLC, St. Paul, MN 55108".

 I can never quite visualize what "distributed" means. Wouldn't a preferable phrasing be "produced and distributed by Kemps LLC, St. Paul, MN 55108"?

The term "distributed" by itself on the product label appears to possibly suggest (and incorrectly, I assume) that Kemps acted as an intermediary in shipping some OTHER producer's butter-pecan frozen yogurt product to retail stores in Texas and other states. 

Kemps does provide the information to consumers on the container itself that this frozen-yogurt product was "Manufactured at Plant Stamped on Carton". When I then search on the carton for more information about the owner and location of that manufacturing plant, I find only this:
 "5A 27-621 MADE IN THE USA". That "additional information" invites a follow-up question: What, in plain English, does "5A 27-621" mean, and, more importantly, is that a Kemps-owned manufacturing plant?

Another minor issue for me: The ingredients label for this frozen-yogurt product cites "corn syrup" as the fifth leading ingredient. As a consumer, I would appreciate reading a statement from Kemps on its product carton that states, if true, that "corn syrup per se has NOT been linked to heart disease. It is high-fructose corn syrup, and not regular corn syrup, that HAS been linked to heart disease; and, fortunately for you, there is no high-fructose corn syrup in this healthful and delicious frozen yogurt product from Kemps of St. Paul."

Anyone enjoying this frozen yogurt from Kemps of St. Paul, Minnesota, is repeatedly reminded that the states contributing to this success story are likely to include either Georgia (number one nationwide in pecan production, according to online information from the United States Department of Agriculture that I reviewed today), New Mexico (number two nationwide in pecan production, according to the USDA), or Texas (number three nationwide in commercial pecan production). 

"Minnesota is also a great dairy state," I note to myself as I enjoy this tasty frozen yogurt inside my apartment unit near the Arboretum in northwest Austin. "I realize that Mother's native state of Iowa is also very strong that way. But Minnesota is clearly one of the very best  dairy-producing states. And so of course is Wisconsin, though I myself don't currently know of any yogurt product or any frozen yogurt ---or any great ice cream brand, for that matter --- that comes from Wisconsin. In any event, I do appreciate the fact that Iowa offers a variety of very affordable Blue Bunny-brand ice cream products from that state, some of them low in saturated fat, which I'm also grateful for."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments Here.